Old remington triggers

antelopedundee

internet bum
Old remington triggers that lock bolt when safety is on

Anyone here ever mill a groove in a newer Remington 700 action to accommodate the old style triggers that lock the bolt when the safety is engaged?

ZU3VBLU.jpg

Last edited:
Never mind, I brain farted. The groove is in the bolt under the handle. See pics, bottom is no groove. Wouldn't lock anything if it was in the receiver body. Anyway years ago I was hunting near Natural Bridge north of Douglas, WY, and walking back to my vehicle and the bolt handle bumped me somewhere knocking the action open and putting a round on the ground which I never found. So I see a safety aspect to locking the bolt when/if the rifle is loaded and cocked.

So is it possible to mill a groove into a bolt without removing the bolt handle? Used triggers with the correct safety lever aren't particularly scarce [even the left handed ones] and with a little magic from Neil Jones can be pretty darn good for a huntin gun trigger at low cost.

FWIW I have 3 RR series LH stainless actions.

Forgot to ask if it's necessary to go thru an FFL holder to ship bolts tho I'd likely use USPS registered.

XlYoYUR.jpg

XsgEvFO.jpg

Last edited:
The bolt IS NOT REGISTERED as a firearm so ship away. And if asked "what's in the box"? Machine parts.
Or better yet, NOYB!!

OP,
Your "Old' style Rem trigger is a M.Walker design trigger group.
Your RR prefix receiver had a X Mark/X Mark Pro trigger group.

IF,your 'smith choice has questions.....seek elsewhere.

No,the handle does NOT have to be removed to machine the bolt lock safety cut in the bolt body.

But,your RR prefix "Short Cam" bolt handle is .150" out of Time radially for Primary Extraction.

Last edited:
OP,
Your "Old' style Rem trigger is a M.Walker design trigger group.
Your RR prefix receiver had a X Mark/X Mark Pro trigger group.

IF,your 'smith choice has questions.....seek elsewhere.

No,the handle does NOT have to be removed to machine the bolt lock safety cut in the bolt body.

But,your RR prefix "Short Cam" bolt handle is .150" out of Time radially for Primary Extraction.

Thanks for the info. Found out the hard way "again" about the primary extraction. It usually rears its ugly head when you touch off a hot load. The bolt handle will have to come off anyway.

Back