hybrid cases

alinwa

oft dis'd member
Anyone try these yet? The one in my hand is factory rated at 80,000psi. I'ma run it as a 6 or 6.5

IMG_20220327_204311_0.jpg

Yes, we have been testing them for years. We have had trouble with the high pressure loads. Just because the case is theoretically rated for 80,000psi, doesn't mean that the weapon system will handle it. We have had blown cases in Universal Receivers and locked up M700 actions with bolt face expansion. We have also had case separation with two piece cases, both brass/stainless and brass plastic.
aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGlzLm1haWwuYW9sLmNvbS93cy92My9tYWlsYm94ZXMvQC5pZD09VmpOLThiOUotb2hla2pxRzBucW9aeTVzSXhCVEpaemdQM3VVaFJaZWVRSmkxYW1rZWVjbU5aR05jUlhLY3JHRW43YVlHbDJMRWVFYjhMNEZkMEdCSnM1Zk9BL21lc3NhZ2VzL0AuaWQ9PUFBZ0MxZnBCMEdRSllrRzVxUU5IMkVBbUR5TS9jb250ZW50L3BhcnRzL0AuaWQ9PTIvdGh1bWJuYWlsP2FwcGlkPWFvbHdlYm1haWwmZG93bmxvYWRXaGVuVGh1bWJuYWlsRmFpbHM9dHJ1ZSZwaWQ9Mg~~

Hybrid case

Alinwa -

Howdy

FWIW - From my recollection...... Palmisano & Pindel were giving thought to the next " big thing " would be a case where the primer ignition producits were routed ifrst to the upper part of the case; at the more-fwd part of the powder charge.

One way to do that, would be use of a hollow tube that would go from the inside of the case' base to however far up into the case was deemed appropriate.
This would imply a case w/ a removal base, as a likley method of achieving the intended overall design goal(s).

This location for powder ignition by the " primer " of course obliquely reminds of the " Dreyse Needle Gun " of the mid 1800's. It was a bolt action, too.

With regards,
357Mag

Alinwa -

FWIW - From my recollection...... Palmisano & Pindel were giving thought to the next " big thing " would be a case where the primer ignition products were routed first to the upper part of the case; at the more-fwd part of the powder charge.

If you read Elmer Keith's Gun Notes. He and a few others experimented with that method, "flash tube", of modifying cases back in the 30's. The US Government looked into it during WW2 as a method of getting higher velocities with reduced pressures in the .50BMG round. Elmer used it in his .338OKH round. The existing flash hole is modified by threading it and the a brass tube is threaded in from the case mouth using a special tool. The method claimed higher velocities, lower chamber pressures, and less throat erosion with the powders of the day, as the powder ignited at the base of the bullet and burned back towards the primer instead of being pushed up the barrel by the primer force and burning in the throat.

Al, I have the contact for the fellow that set up the Sig tool room and universal receivers to test them. Walt is an Arkansas guy and that is where they are located.

Back around 2000 Jammie Cass was running steel heads at Hawks Ridge. Bullets wouldn't stay together on a consistent basis. I'm sure some of the Williamsport crowd tried before that.
Sigs ingenuity came in how they mated the two pieces together. First time around the case was crimped in with an internal washer. I think they've moved on to just a crimp and letting internal pressure facilitate the joining of the two pieces. .

Somewhere I have some steel headed cases made by the O'Connor Cartridge Co., circa the late '80s to early '90s

They are a 'universal' 30-06 case made for reforming into whatever you wished. -Al

When I talked with Walt he said one of the weak spots was bullet construction and why the use of bonded bullets (150gr. Noslers).

When I talked with Walt he said one of the weak spots was bullet construction and why the use of bonded bullets (150gr. Noslers).

140gr TTSX is a good bullet, easy quarter minute accurate and if I can ramp this case up far enough to be blowing up TTSX's I'll consider it a success!!

Back