How's lilja these days?

leadfarmer

Looking to do a short range bench gun.
This would be for club matches. From 100-300 yards. Looking at a 6 or 30br. (These are just for fun) No limits on weight or anything like that. That being said, I'd still like to win them if possible. I'm thinking of just building a heavy SOB with a 1.25 straight barrel.

Any thoughts on Lilja? Was going to do a Krieger but they are out of stock, from what I see and after calling Krieger. I'm looking at a long, long wait.

Trying to find equipment lists but not having any luck. (New to all of this.) They still winning, would I even know the difference as a novice bench rest shooter? (Been shooting all my life. Just not this discipline.)

Never owned a Lilja, but I can tell you that Krieger always claims a long lead time - and then delivers much, much sooner. Obviously I can't guarantee that for you, but that's been my experience and they are my go-to barrel maker.

GsT

ok...i have 3 lija 30 cal bbls they are on 300 win mag and 308 win, not on br rifles. the top of short range br ibbls are krieger and bartlien.
i would do a 30 br i have a 6br but two 30 brs...
you have a pm
oh and the bbl i ordered from krieger with a 14 month lead time took 15 months..
i still perfer and shoot kriegers

Last edited:
Regardless of what brand barrel you get, build the rifle to fit into a specific NBRSA short range class. A 1.25 straight barrel is not legal in any of the varmint class rifles. Get a max heavy varmint contour if you go 30 BR, a light varmint contour if you go 6mm. You will be glad you did if you really get hooked on BR shooting.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

PS: I always encourage new shooters to start with a 10.5 lb.rifle in 6mm, as it can be shot in all three varmint classes.

While I haven't used a .30 Lilja for a while, I shot them a lot in the past....they brought home a lot of wins and top 5 placings. Per Steve's recommendation, I'd rethink that contour and opt a HV. That leaves all your options open. A straight 1.250 won't shoot any better than a HV contour. And it will be easier to get the guns balance correct with a HV contour.

Hope this helps. Good shootin' -Al

While I haven't used a .30 Lilja for a while, I shot them a lot in the past....they brought home a lot of wins and top 5 placings. Per Steve's recommendation, I'd rethink that contour and opt a HV. That leaves all your options open. A straight 1.250 won't shoot any better than a HV contour. And it will be easier to get the guns balance correct with a HV contour.

Hope this helps. Good shootin' -Al
I will seriously consider the HV. I have a pretty heavy stock I want to put it in, so I don't think it would matter, but I can always change stocks.

Here's a question. Where should the balance point be? I have a 1.25 straight taper barrel in a stock that balances about 1 -1.5n in front of the action.

How do you find the balance point?

Last edited:
Back