F TR 223... New for me

6mmBR

I'm going to start some F TR shooting with a 223. This is for mid range. The rifle will be a Remington short action trued,Jewell trigger, 30 inch Brux 7 twist barrel, on a Rem VLS stock, 12x42 NXS scope,and a Harris bi pod. I'm super fresh to this...
I do shoot 600-1000 us BR. I have a bunch of Varget and a little. H4895, and some RL15 to use. I'm going to start with some 80.5 Berger fullbore bullets. My freebore will be .098". I didn't want to limit myself to the 90's. Since a mid range. What should I expect this setup to produce? What bullets do you like for mid range with a 223?? Maybe another bullet poll ? What tips can you give a new FTR shooter? Any information would be great !!
Thanks again

Last edited:
With my custom 223 25 inches Krieger 1/8 tw barrel, I achieve 3000fps with Berger 80,5 gn FB bullets and 25,6 grains RL 15 and average groups are under .4 MOA

Thank you Liseo !

Anyone else have any experience?? Even if it's not a 223...what good info out there for a new shooter to the sport of F TR ?
Thanks again

For what it is worth

I am shooting RL15 with the Berger #22427, 80.5gr full bore bullet but have just begun testing with a RRA 20" ss barrel 1:8 twist. So far it is shooting mid two's at 45°temperature. When temps get to 90's the groups tend to open up a bit at 100 yds. The only yardage I am shooting at.
I did a test last summer and placed my loaded ammunition on a cooler which held the temp to 45° and my groups came right back. Not sure about any other powder but I like the RL15 for the little bit I shoot.
Hope this helps.
Centerfire

I don't shoot FT/R I shoot Open so I can't give you specific information about your .223 or FT/R but you did ask for general information and I will try to help out with that.
See if you can find any club shoots or practice leagues you can get to practice the format of F-class shooting, I am assuming you will be able to use the skills you have learned in LR BR to get your shooting form for FT/R in good shape. One thing you will need to do in F-class is pull targets in a different pattern than BR, for F-class the target gets pulled, scored and marked for every shot, there is a skill to pulling targets and you will make your fellow competitors very happy if you learn how to pull targets fast. Think about target pulling this way the shooter can't shoot when the target is down so if it takes a long time for target to get pulled, scored and marked that is time the shooter can't use to their advantage. Pull targets the same way you would like to have them pulled if you were shooting.

Shoot in any F-class matches you can get to easily, shooting is pretty much a lousy spectator sport so don't go to a match to watch the first one or two, take a gun with you and shoot the match, assuming you have a load worked up, your zero and elevations for the ranges of the match. You can learn a lot from the other competitors at a match and pay attention to the match director, if you do not understand where you should be ask a more experienced shooter who is in your relay. Remember we all shot our first match at some point.

Main Goal: Get out and shoot and have fun.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the replies... I did read about the targets getting scored every time. I'll have to work that the best I can when I get to the range. I really didn't want to be a spectator in any shooting sport...very dull !! What would you advise for a brand new shooter for a range data book? What goes in it ? Anyone have a spreadsheet for this that would like to share?
I hope to get to one in May and how ever many I can get to.
Thank you again !!
6mmbr

I just use a composition book for a data book and when I use plot sheets I just tape them into the composition books. On a back page of the composition book I have a page for each yardage range I shoot every time I shoot at that yardage I record what my elevation was. I keep a book like that for every gun.

You can get as complicated or as simple as you like for range data books. I have written the come up tables on more tactical rigs with a sharpie on the buttstock, so it is always there. There are many ways to skin the cat, just don't try to sin a live cat.

A plot sheet is more important for shot location and calls than score. Too many shooters get wrapped up in keeping score and don't keep track of where the shots are going or conditions. You can use a service rifle national match plot book, chapions choice, creedmore, moes, etc. Just need to remark the scoring rings. Calling your shots and ploting location is done during the time the target is in the pits. Fire shot, plot the call, sight changes, then plot previous shot, reload, target comes up, see if shot hit where called, read wind, make any sight adjustments, fire next shot, repeat.

Liseo what kind of COL are you using to get that load to work. Any pressure signs? Isn't that 80.5 gr Berger a boattail.

Last edited:
Bsc4444

The COL is 2.585" , jump is .035". Is a single shot load

Yes, is Berger BT. Only .110" is contacting the neck wall

Is a warm load, start at 24 grains with RL 15 and watch for pressure signs.

6mmBR

Never measured, I lengten the free-bore with PTG uni-throater until get what seems the right amount. Believe in the .130" range

Well you brought it back from dead, and I’m the only to notice and reply
I just joined this site and not much activity it’s seams

Back