Custom...... Full length dies

What dimensions do you get after sizing brass, in relation with your chamber? Whidden says they take off .0025 with .001 spring back and approximately .002 shoulder set back. Just wanted your thoughts how they perform. I like the idea of minimal working of the brass. Can you request tighter tolerances ?

What dimensions do you get after sizing brass, in relation with your chamber? Whidden says they take off .0025 with .001 spring back and approximately .002 shoulder set back. Just wanted your thoughts how they perform. I like the idea of minimal working of the brass. Can you request tighter tolerances ?
yes, you can. I've been arguing with John since the day he opened shop. But right now, today, I can and do send him drawings with exactly the numbers I want on them and he hits them. Basically I do less than half of the sizing effect that he calls for, and IMO setting the shoulder back two thou is absurd. I go for a half a thou of shoulders set back if I'm shooting the rounds immediately and a thou if the cases will set for days/weeks. His dies are also hardened now, this is huge. Un-hardened dies are an abomination

bad service double post

yes, you can. I've been arguing with John since the day he opened shop. But right now, today, I can and do send him drawings with exactly the numbers I want on them and he hits them. Basically I do less than half of the sizing effect that he calls for, and IMO setting the shoulder back two thou is absurd. I go for a half a thou of shoulders set back if I'm shooting the rounds immediately and a thou if the cases will set for days/weeks. His dies are also hardened now, this is huge. Un-hardened dies are an abomination

Un-harden dies ? That's crazy ! LOL I'm dealing with my Redding standard seater with .470 or so at the base..... I don't have pin gauges, so I'm not totally sure and any FL die is way under even when I bump my shoulders at .0025. Anything under that is a bit stiff. But I would love to use his dies. What kind of clearance can I go to for function after firing ?

Un-harden dies ? That's crazy ! LOL I'm dealing with my Redding standard seater with .470 or so at the base..... I don't have pin gauges, so I'm not totally sure and any FL die is way under even when I bump my shoulders at .0025. Anything under that is a bit stiff. But I would love to use his dies. What kind of clearance can I go to for function after firing ?

If you're talking about a "typical" .308Win-based case and a typical (not fat-butted) chamber I'll suggest 1.5 thou @ shoulder and 2 thou at the base.

If you're talking about a "typical" .308Win-based case and a typical (not fat-butted) chamber I'll suggest 1.5 thou @ shoulder and 2 thou at the base.

Guy from Whidden said .470 -.0025 and .001 spring back = .4685 sound right ? The .0015 makes a stiff bolt closure and hard extraction. What would you suggest for less ? I had a carbon ring that was making me me do .004.

Last edited:
I don't get carbon rings and wouldn't reload tight if I did.

Perhaps it's safer you go with Whidden's recommendation.

I don't get carbon rings and wouldn't reload tight if I did.

Perhaps it's safer you go with Whidden's recommendation.

I let it go a bit too long LOL live ya learn. Usually clean well, but didn't realize that ring builds up. Know now.

If the rings doesn't accumulate then I could load tighter ? Or is a Sammi chamber different than custom chambers ?

I let it go a bit too long LOL live ya learn. Usually clean well, but didn't realize that ring builds up. Know now.

If the rings doesn't accumulate then I could load tighter ? Or is a Sammi chamber different than custom chambers ?

SAAMI is a governing body which defines minimum and maximum sizes to 'standardized' cases

"Custom" can mean anything.

I shoot very few chamberings which fall inside SAAMI definitions..... yet many of them will still fire and function initially in a SAAMI spec'd chamber.

SAAMI is a governing body which defines minimum and maximum sizes to 'standardized' cases

"Custom" can mean anything.

I shoot very few chamberings which fall inside SAAMI definitions..... yet many of them will still fire and function initially in a SAAMI spec'd chamber.

is it important to have a case head fit snug when in a seater die ?

I had to send a Bonanza BR seater back to have a chamber sleeve replaced, it got to Forster yesterday. The bullet guide at the top is out of spec, it measures .310 instead of .3085. I am getting more runout than I want. I was also concerned about case heads having too much clearance in the seater base. My Redding seater has tight tolerances at the base and any FL sizer sizes the case head down too much, including the Redding body die. Just curious about a straight cartridge after seating, less bullet runout. The best bullet I use is Hornady SST as far as runout is concerned.

The first firing of the case makes it form to the gross dimensions of your rifle's chamber.

If your rifle is straight, if your chamber is short and if your first load is stiff you'll get the straightest brass possible in your system.

NOTHING you can do after this can "straighten"..... it can only make it worse.

hardened... heat treated hardened, I take it.

Any suggestions to go below .002 shoulder set back? I'm probably missing something. My bolt handle is to stiff for me below that.

Last edited:
Any suggestions to go below .002 shoulder set back? I'm probably missing something. My bolt handle is to stiff for me below that.

In your situation I believe you are stuck..... if it were me I'd pull the barrel and hone the rear of the chamber out a thou or so but I'm not normal. I believe in attacking the root of a thing. And the ROOT of the thing is that your die doesn't fit your chamber.

In your situation I believe you are stuck..... if it were me I'd pull the barrel and hone the rear of the chamber out a thou or so but I'm not normal. I believe in attacking the root of a thing. And the ROOT of the thing is that your die doesn't fit your chamber.

With your die, do you still have to adjust the die to set back shoulders ?

I use a Redding FL body die. I use a feller gauge and my Hornady HS gauge reads what how much I set the shoulder back to. The gauge Whidden sends you with your die, are they more reliable than Hornady's gauge?

Off the shelf dies...aren't shoulder angle specific, the shoulders aren't quite cut right to set the case shoulder back correctly ? Am I warm at all ?

Last edited:
Back