Chamber reamer

Rflshootr

If you could purchase a carbide chamber reamer for the same price or less of a HSS reamer, would you?
Pros and cons of carbide reamers?

Also does anyone know the industry standard diameter for the pilot diameter for bushings on the reamer itself for 22 caliber? (the diameter for the 22-centerfire pilot to slide onto).

Dear Rflshootr, I have used both HSS and carbide reamers. I prefer my latest reamer which is a 6PPC .268 nk. carbide one. I find that I don't have to run the reamer at 1 zillion RPM to get a good finish in the chamber. The one downside to a carbide reamer is that pesky wire circle clip used to hold the bushing on the reamer. It is very small, hard to get on and off and tends to fly off into the either. Then it becomes very difficult if not impossible to find. The ends of carbide reamers are not threaded for a small bushing retaining screw like HSS but have a small groove on the end which the small wire clip goes onto. If you do decide on carbide get extra wire clips. In the beginning remove and attach the clip in a gallon ziplock bag, cardboard box or some sort of enclosure. Later on when you become proficient with the clip you can try it without the inclosure. Be prepared to lose one or two clips. Additionally carbide reamers are more expensive and more brittle than HSS. If you plan on chambering a lot of barrels carbide would stay sharper for a longer time but HSS steel will chamber a lot of barrels before dulling. Whether to use carbide or HSS I think boils down to personal preference. Which ever choice you make I recommend JGS reamers. I have had my best luck with them. Good luck. ps. I can't help with the diameter of the end of the 22 reamer. Better men then I can help you with that

A Little Reamer History

Most BR shooters today have never heard of Elliot reamers. They were made by Red Elliot in Ramona, CA. His tools were the standard, and were available 'till the early "70's. Elliot made reamers 'till he was near 90.
Then Kieth Francsis started making reamers, I think about the time Elliot quite. He taught Hugh Henriksen how to make reamers. Hugh started with Kieth right out of high school as a shop helper and eventually bought the business from Francsis around 1980.
Hugh then became the go-to guy for high quality reamers. I think Hugh is now retired, as he does not respond to calls or emails.
Kieth Francsis went to work for JGS as a consultant after selling out to Hugh. The first price list I got from Kieth listed a finisher for $26.00.
Dave Kiff started with JGS and eventually started PTG in the late '90's

I am totally unfamiliar with the history of Manson and Clymer reamer businesses.
In the '60's and '70's there was Hartford and Redford reamer. All SAAMI spec, solid pilot and cost $10.00!!! You could also get a set of HS gages from them, go, no-go and field for $4.50!

Hope I'm half way accurate on the info I presented.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

Dear Rflshootr, I have used both HSS and carbide reamers. I prefer my latest reamer which is a 6PPC .268 nk. carbide one. I find that I don't have to run the reamer at 1 zillion RPM to get a good finish in the chamber. The one downside to a carbide reamer is that pesky wire circle clip used to hold the bushing on the reamer. It is very small, hard to get on and off and tends to fly off into the either. Then it becomes very difficult if not impossible to find. The ends of carbide reamers are not threaded for a small bushing retaining screw like HSS but have a small groove on the end which the small wire clip goes onto. If you do decide on carbide get extra wire clips. In the beginning remove and attach the clip in a gallon ziplock bag, cardboard box or some sort of enclosure. Later on when you become proficient with the clip you can try it without the inclosure. Be prepared to lose one or two clips. Additionally carbide reamers are more expensive and more brittle than HSS. If you plan on chambering a lot of barrels carbide would stay sharper for a longer time but HSS steel will chamber a lot of barrels before dulling. Whether to use carbide or HSS I think boils down to personal preference. Which ever choice you make I recommend JGS reamers. I have had my best luck with them. Good luck. ps. I can't help with the diameter of the end of the 22 reamer. Better men then I can help you with that
What RPM's do you run your PPC carbide reamer? The one that I'm buying is a 22BR, so pretty close to the same thing.

Back