Barrel Sight Hole Plug Screws

antelopedundee

internet bum
I know the Guvmint is finicky about what gun parts or related items can be sent out of the country without their blessing. Any issue with sending screws used to plug up the holes in the receiver or barrel by mail to Sweden?

Tikka's come with 6-48 plastic plugs for the base screws. ;) Can't imagine those setting off too many alerts.
Should fit the holes left from removing the factory sights from the barrel I expect. I've been advised that the restrictions are for ALL gun parts. I'd posit that blued screws are used largely on guns so therefore largely a gun part.

Should fit the holes left from removing the factory sights from the barrel I expect. I've been advised that the restrictions are for ALL gun parts. I'd posit that blued screws are used largely on guns so therefore largely a gun part.
i call bs..if you can buy it in a hardware store its hardware..... try amazon ebay ,ace, grainger,,, "i've been advised" to ignore that source

I doubt you could buy the ones that came with factory rifles at Ace Hardware. I haven't sent mail to another country for many many years so I have no clue how mail to overseas destinations is handled. On the off chance that it could be opened why leave the decision about what they are to some bureaucrat? I will heed the advice of someone who has been there and done that. FWIW the gent inherited a rifle with factory sights and removed the rear one in order to mount a scope. He asked what the effect of leaving the holes unplugged would have on performance.

Last edited:
If you can order a 6-48 tap, I don't see a problem. The only thing that makes them gun centric is the pitch of the thread. So unless they dictate thread pitches you can use on any unrelated project, I can't see how they can regulate screws to fit your holes.

If you can order a 6-48 tap, I don't see a problem. The only thing that makes them gun centric is the pitch of the thread. So unless they dictate thread pitches you can use on any unrelated project, I can't see how they can regulate screws to fit your holes.
You shouldn't have any issues screwing a 6-48 plastic screw into a 6-40 hole. Don't know if the person would want that or the aesthetics of original screws.

I doubt you could buy the ones that came with factory rifles at Ace Hardware. I haven't sent mail to another country for many many years so I have no clue how mail to overseas destinations is handled. On the off chance that it could be opened why leave the decision about what they are to some bureaucrat? I will heed the advice of someone who has been there and done that. FWIW the gent inherited a rifle with factory sights and removed the rear one in order to mount a scope. He asked what the effect of leaving the holes unplugged would have on performance.
Ace actually has 5-6 drawers labeled "gun screws" in their small parts cabinets. You can find even some pretty obscure stuff there.

GsT

Ace actually has 5-6 drawers labeled "gun screws" in their small parts cabinets. You can find even some pretty obscure stuff there.

GsT
May check it out if I remember my next visit. If the gent wanted some and I could have been guaranteed safe to mail I'd have sent them for free. I have enough grief to deal with as it is.

ETA it's A DEAD ISSUE!

Last edited:
Back