Any value to a Pre 64 Mod 70

Worker

I have a chance to acquire a Winchester Mod 70 Pre -64 action in 30-06 in excellent shape . Is it worth much ?

Totally

I have a chance to acquire a Winchester Mod 70 Pre -64 action in 30-06 in excellent shape . Is it worth much ?

dependent on condition. If its a standard grade post war or featherweight with all original finish, not flaking, no dings, dents or cracks in the stock, bluing is good shape, not altered $1000 range. If just a hunter or shooter half that. If its in a more rare caliber or a super grade, more...again depending on condition.

pre 64

I bought a featherweight a couple a years ago and gave 1300 for it, probably too much, but the 3006 was the most chambered caliber About a third of em I ve heard was in that caliber. There aint gonna be no more of em. Doug

Great rifles

I bought a featherweight a couple a years ago and gave 1300 for it, probably too much, but the 3006 was the most chambered caliber About a third of em I ve heard was in that caliber. There aint gonna be no more of em. Doug

and a good place to park some $, and you can sell it down the road and re-coop some, all or more of your cost plus you have had the pleasure if its ownership and use over time. Pretty good combination of things imo.

pre 64

I dont plan on ever selling mine. I always had my eye on the old pre wars. If it hadnt been drilled and tapped they have got out of my price range now. Worker, if your looking at them ,you need to buy Roger Rules book. Very informative. GLP, good to hear from another pre 64 model 70 nut. Talk to ya later. Doug

Doug

I dont plan on ever selling mine. I always had my eye on the old pre wars. If it hadnt been drilled and tapped they have got out of my price range now. Worker, if your looking at them ,you need to buy Roger Rules book. Very informative. GLP, good to hear from another pre 64 model 70 nut. Talk to ya later. Doug

i just stumbled onto another yesterday. I would not have bought it except for the caliber...its a .257 Roberts. However, the rifle has been re-blued except for the action and the stock has had all the checkering sanded off and cut down to a smaller profile and re-finished in what looks like tung oil.

The reality is that the lacquer finish was applied onto the wood and over time it deteriorates and starts to flake off. Once that happens, if you use it in the rain, the bare spots soak up water and the finish lifts and sloughs off. Not much choice at that point but to refinish it. What I don't understand is the re-blue the former(and only owner till me) did to the metal. So, at this point its a nice, accurate user/shooter, and was paid for accordingly. I've never been much of a fan of .243s and .257s but this will be fun to play with. I read too many Keith books and articles in the past to appreciate "pea shooters". :) At least this action is a 30-06 length, unlike the Rem 722, and the magazine looks as if it will accommodate rounds longer than the SAMI spec.

Last edited:
pre 64

GlP, Had my eye on that caliber for a while and their getting up there not with the savages but up there. I bought a new model 70 308 just to play with and not like the old ones your right you cant seat the bullets out where you want to because they wont go in the magazine. It still shoots good for a hunting rifle. .5 on a good hold 1in. on most of em. I think Elmer just lived down the road from me when he was a boy Hardin Mo. I usually try to buy one model 70 a year. I bought that new one this year. Ill get back on track next year. Doug

Value

even if re-blued and wood finished, IF you buy it right, there is solid value in the action itself, if in good condition.

Back