300 yard groups !

Savage Mark

Went to the range today and all the work and practice is making things finally come together . My first 4 shots (I know 4 isn’t enough) looked pretty small so I had to drive down and get it . After that I did shoot a 15 round string . 6BR off the bench . I am pretty happy . If any one sees anything I can improve upon , please speak up ! Red circle is about 1.5 inches .

Thx

Mark

Attachments

• 2E04CAF7-4487-44DC-AE96-B6F8E017B287.jpeg
    2E04CAF7-4487-44DC-AE96-B6F8E017B287.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 868
  • 5F6238E4-203A-4980-9609-E6C9E2D93818.jpeg
    5F6238E4-203A-4980-9609-E6C9E2D93818.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 920
I am hardly the one to tell somebody how to shoot small, but I will ask you how that load shot at 100yds. I found in my limited experience that the best friend I have these days at the range is a set of quality wind flags........It's nice when a plan starts to come together..............Happy Shooting

Regards
Rick

Hi Rick !

To be perfectly honest im not sure how it groups at 100 . I sight in at 100 and immediate go to 300 and 500
since all my shooting is done at those yardages . I even do all my load work up at 300. I had one wind flag out but I’m not very experienced reading the wind so I pretty much wait till it stops or slows down. Lol .

Thx

Mark

Lots of vertical and windage

The windage can be cured by learning to read conditions better. The vertical by tuning the load better.

What bullet/powder combo are you using?

I do most of my tuning for 600-1000yd F-class at 300yds by necessity as 600yds is 1.5hr drive for me. My goal is 10 shot groups at/under 1" with vertical a little less than horizontal....nice round to oval groups. I shoot at sunrise on dead calm days when I can to reduce windage and mirage effects. If I can get a load to get round 1" 10 shot groups more often than not at 300yds the gun is competitive from 600-1000yds in F-open.

Robin

I do most of my tuning for 600-1000yd F-class at 300yds by necessity as 600yds is 1.5hr drive for me. My goal is 10 shot groups at/under 1" with vertical a little less than horizontal....nice round to oval groups. I shoot at sunrise on dead calm days when I can to reduce windage and mirage effects. If I can get a load to get round 1" 10 shot groups more often than not at 300yds the gun is competitive from 600-1000yds in F-open.

Forgive my ignorance , but how do I know when the vertical is caused by load and not the shooter ? When I go it’s usually late morning to early afternoon and wind and Mirage can be nasty .

If you are shooting during a bit of mirage (and wind changes) it will be hard, if not impossible, to discern condition and shooter influence on vertical. However, if you are using a solid front rest with a proper fitting front bag and good rear bag and very consistent shot release you can assume your influence on vertical is minimal. That being said, in 'perfect' dead still/no mirage conditions I can easily induce vertical with a variation of shoulder pressure and even when I feel my technique is at it's best I realize a slight change in my position behind the rifle turns a .3 moa load into a .5moa 10 shot load. Calm overcast or light drizzle conditions can also be outstanding test conditions as you will have almost no/ zero mirage and the drizzle is the best wind indicator you can get IME.

edit- also, if you find a load that shoots flatter some days and more vertical on others in similar conditions try adjusting the fore-end stop on the rest and see if you can tune that out. I have one very flexible as well as a shorter more rigid F-open stock that both are sensitive to the position of the stock in the front bag (as in overhang). The flexible stock is more sensitive in my hands.

Robin

Last edited:
went to the range today and all the work and practice is making things finally come together . My first 4 shots (i know 4 isn’t enough) looked pretty small so i had to drive down and get it . After that i did shoot a 15 round string . 6br off the bench . I am pretty happy . If any one sees anything i can improve upon , please speak up ! Red circle is about 1.5 inches .

Thx

mark
as your targhet tells you your firsy 4 shots was the same as the 2 out of the second group the other 13 are in dif' con some vertical vertical could be tail or head wind or seating depth check if possibleo or it was there.

300 yard goup

got lucky at 300 yards sighting for a f class shoot do have some shoots at CONAUGHT RANGES OTTAWA 300 TO 900 METERS
LOTS shooters using 223 rem and 6br shooting all in bull and many are v bulls on 3 inch bull
P1080981.JPG

so you post a TEN YEAR OLD group on a 2-3 YEAR OLD THREAD,.that started in 2016 ???
i know components are in short supply, but recycling targets ??

Here's what I do:

I've been shooting SCORE Benchrest 1-2 and 300 yards for over 25 years. I tune now @ 50 yards. I've found that if I can shoot 3 shots into the same bullet hole that measures less than .100, the load will stay small out to 300 yards. There are those who have different loads at 200 and 300 yards but I've never felt I needed to find any. I have 100 Agg patches so I've had good results over the years. The last Agg I won was at 300 and by 4 points.

Pete

Back