insert a savage action to use std 1.062 x 16 bbl thread ?

rsmithsr2

so i have a savage single shot lrvp action getting ready to rebbl and thinking...not safe.
what if
the old bbl was internal threaded to 1.062x16 cut of reinstalled and faced off to match the receiver face.
no use a new bbl with a shoulder vs savage nut ?
yes no not practical ??
opinions
i have the old bbl to make the insert from,
get a new recoil lug..( ok brainphart time..no i cannot bore to a smaller hole!)

Last edited:
It's gonna be paper thin in places but will probably work. I'd feel a whole lot better about doing on something that's not a bomb inches from my face though.

ii get aprox .027 where the threads cross....
how did kelbly's do the inserts in their panda's ???..that is alumin on the od
i end up with a 1.35 od receiver and a 1.00625x16 inside, with a bbl in 308 in the middle,
same lugs and bolt i started with

The Pandas are 1.500 wide. I know how Jerry Stiller described the insert and how it's held in place on his Viper actions, a Panda clone, from a few years ago. Assuming a similar insert and process, Jerry used an interference fit at both top and bottom of the insert along with the threads. He told me how much interference and the torque values he used but I only remember the torque was a substantial 350lb/ft! He also used a thread locker or sleeve retaining compound of one kind or another. The amount of interference fit was based at least in part, to the thermal expansion coefficient of the steel insert vs the aluminum receiver it was installed into.

I'm not sure how you came up with .027 where the threads cross. I come up with more like .005 ish depending on tolerances and thread class used. This link is a great tool for thread building situations. Play with the numbers in this calculator and see for yourself. Either way, it's a great tool to use for future reference as well, for you as well as anyone else that wants to give it a look. I'd suggest a little more thought before making chips but good luck with whatever you decide and keep us posted. Here's the link to the thread calculator. Hope it helps.

The insert would be similar to this crude drawing.

Attachments

• 20230923_100230.jpg
    20230923_100230.jpg
    951.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
my panda is 1.45 only a 1/10th over the savage and the savage will be ss bbl, ss insert, ss recvr...no alum anywhere.
actual measurements vs what a thread MIGHT be in worst condition. i have faith in my skills and my gunsmith. final review is monday, all the parts are here

my panda is 1.45 only a 1/10th over the savage and the savage will be ss bbl, ss insert, ss recvr...no alum anywhere.
actual measurements vs what a thread MIGHT be in worst condition. i have faith in my skills and my gunsmith. final review is monday, all the parts are here
I do think that it's close but once made and in place, it'll work. At that point, it's just taking up space. But it's gonna be very thin in the small areas where the threads cross. That's not hypothetical at all. You/he can fudge the amount just a bit in different ways. I think if it gets threaded and installed without breaking, you're home free.

I do think that it's close but once made and in place, it'll work. At that point, it's just taking up space. But it's gonna be very thin in the small areas where the threads cross. That's not hypothetical at all. You/he can fudge the amount just a bit in different ways. I think if it gets threaded and installed without breaking, you're home free.
it is actually going to be threaded IN PLACE, CUT THE old BBL off chamber long. install/glue in place.(use hs gauge, bolt and savage nut)
then bore it, thread it and face it, as part of the recvr. then thread and chamber new bbl like "normal"...1.0625 x 16

Minor D on a 1.120-20 internal thread is ~1.069”
Major D on a 1.0625 external thread is 1.0625”
1.069-1.0625=.0065
Where did you get .027”? You’ve got less than .010” between the major and minor diameters of those two threads, paper thin as Ezell stated. Will it work? Probably. Sort of getting close to a heli coil but less robust material so who knows how it’ll do long term.

Last edited:
the problem is your spec on the 1.120-20 is not where near what i actually measured
and again that is only where the threads cross......
who know i may end up with a savage nutted bbl

Back